Dog friendly beaches in New York State:
1) Doggie Beach at New Smyrna at the end of Beach Avenue in Larchmont, NY is a great beach catered to dogs. It’s so dog friendly that your dog can go leashless and go in the water any time of day. Fences extend into the water, which means dogs get to swim at the beach and owners have fewer worries Fido will swim off into the sunset without them. It’s a great spot for an impulsive trip if you have a car because you pretty much can’t get there at a bad time (low tide is the best time for digging around in mud, though).
2) Mirror Lake Overview at Lake Placid is friendly to doggy dips in the lake and boasts a 2.7 mile hiking trail you and your dog can enjoy. Dogs are allowed all day and all year but the area is less dog friendly when marathons such as the Ironman competition occur because it’s hard for anyone or any dog to relax with all hustle around.
3) Montauk Beach on Long Island is a great destination for city slickers without cars. Dog lovers can take the LIRR to Montauk and then enjoy. The only snag is the beach isn’t dog friendly between 9a.m. and 6p.m. May 15th through the end of September. It’s perfect during the winter for some impulsive weekend reflection with you and Fido. Vacationers can’t help but enjoy a beach spot they can turn to for their early morning walks in the summer months.
Dog friendly beaches in New Jersey:
1) Fisherman’s Cove Conservation Area Overview in Manasquan, NJ is a 24/7 dog friendly beach. Dogs are welcome to enjoy some primo views of the Atlantic. Check signs often, because most of the beach used to be off-leash friendly, but new conservation projects restrict off-leash pooch playing.
2) Sunset Beach in Cape May welcomes dogs all year round from 10a.m. to dusk. Cape May also offers great nautical tourist attractions, such as the concrete ship called the “Atlantus,” and a dog friendly restaurant called the Sunset Beach Grill.
3) Brant Beach Dog Beach in Branegat Bay across from Long Beach Township municipal building is the only dog friendly beach on the Jersey shore. Dune fencing provides extra peace of mind while trying to catch a glimpse of DJ Pauly D and Snooki.
The best dog friendly beach I’ve ever been to:
Was essentially the whole city of Key West, FL. The swankiest hotels and the quaintest bed and breakfasts all welcomed my golden lab, Charlie, when my family visited. Everyone in town loved dogs, took their dogs along to do errands, and generally seemed baffled when we would talk about needing color-coded calendars to get your dog enough off-leash time year round. Key west has taken the guesswork out of vacationing with Fido with the aptly named Dog Beach where anything fun and safe is welcomed, Higgs Dog Beach Park offers separate areas for dogs under 25lbs and dogs over 25lbs, and street performers trained their best friends to collect dollar bills from crowds. All of the dog friendly beaches mentioned have earned a special spot in my heart but Key West is the only vacation spot I’ll go back to just because of how much the whole town loves dogs.